Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Welcome to Me!

Welcoming myself back into Blogland after a very brief hiatus. I felt the need to create something like this after losing Aidyn...I have wanted to WRITE but I didn't want to write about non-Aidyn things on Aidyn's blog. So, I have retired his blog (lifeasaidyn.blogspot.com if you feel like reading about his short but wonderful life) and started a new journey...this time a serious one to get back into the competition ring. I have been a barn manager since August 2010 and have learned an IMMENSE amount about the sport and horse management since I started, and I finally feel like I'm really ready to get serious about showing again. My other (side) goal is to become the kind of barn manager that people write articles about in the Chronicle of the Horse, but I figure I can achieve that alongside my new riding goals ;) So as of now, the search is on for a free lease. I have a few options that I'm interested in, but don't want to rush into anything. No horse can take Aidyn's place, obviously...he's got a chunk of my heart forever, and he was way too special to replace. I just am not the mopey type of mourner, and the longer my saddle gathers dust, the longer I will be wanting to be mopey...thus the search is on. Luckily for me, I have a ton of amazing opportunities sitting outside my front door...and even luckier, my boss is generous in letting me trot those opportunities on a regular basis. I usually get to do a trot set on one horse a day, whenever it's that horse's time for an easy day. It's a good chance to sit on a lot of different types of horses and learn how to get the most out of them. Today I got to trot an ex-advanced horse that my sister now competes at Training level. He is notoriously a tense, tight horse, the kind of horse I usually have trouble on because I just want to take my leg off and hope for relaxation. He was feeling good today after a day off yesterday, so I let him hack out on the buckle for about 10 minutes before we attempted a trot in a nearby field. He likes to put his haunches right and it's important to almost overbend him to the right to push his haunches left, and then counterbend to the left. He was a little quick and running in the trot but I tried to keep my hands soft and just concentrate on bending, bending, bending and lots of half-halts and slow posting. He was a good boy but I think it's gonna take more time for me to figure him out...my sister rides him brilliantly and makes it look so much easier than it is! He was quiet to hack home and seemed very happy when I cleaned him up...as long as he's happy, I'm happy!

On another note, BooBoo got to have a long hand graze today and was alert but controlled...his coat looks incredible and he's fat and shiny again after his brief weight loss earlier in the year. He looks amazing and takes my breath away..can't wait for him to start work again. Maybe this week???.....

Supposed to receive a phone call about a free lease opportunity today...we shall see. Fingers crossed...God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment